You can switch to new operator for just Rs 19. Isn’t it great? Here’s how.
How to change your operator using MNP service?
- You just have to send a SMS ‘PORT YOUR-NUMBER’ to 1900. For eg: If your number is 9999900000, then you send ‘PORT 9999900000’ to 1900.
- Within few seconds, you’ll receive a SMS containing your 8-digit Unique Porting ID (UPC code) and the expiry date of that Porting ID.
- Note that Porting ID and walk into any of retail outlets of your new mobile operator. Don’t forget to carry your documents like Identity Card and a passport size photo with you.
- Get a new SIM card of your new mobile operator. Fill the application form/Number Porting form and enter your details like your current number and 8-digit Porting ID in the form along with your documents and submit it. Post paid users have to submit the last bill of your current operator. It costs you Rs 19.
- It may take maximum 48 hours to transfer your mobile number to new mobile network operator. Your cell number will be switched off for only one hour and this will be informed in advance during switching process. Your new operator will send a sms telling you the day when your number will be transferred. Just insert your new sim card that day and get started.
- Before using MNP service, make sure that you have completed a period of 3 months with your current operator otherwise you won’t be able to switch to new operator. It means you have to wait for at least 90 days before you can change your mobile network operator again.
- For Postpaid users all the bills after switching will be payable to your new service provider. For prepaid, it will be better if you cleared all outstanding payments of your current operator.
- You can shift from GSM to CDMA and vice versa but you can’t shift from one state to another.
- Shifting is allowed only between mobile numbers, shifting from a landline phone is not allowed.
So if you want to dumb your current operator, you can switch to another operator and keep your existing mobile number using MNP service. Simply use the above 5 steps.