Monday, December 20, 2010

Android 2.3 Gingerbread Code Released

Google has released the Android 2.3 Gingerbread source code and now its available for everyone. Android 2.3 arrived a couple of weeks ago and as of 16 December the first Gingerbread-serving device, the Samsung-made Google Nexus S, is on the US market. And now Google made the Android 2.3 source code publicly available, allowing device manufacturers to start the work on installing the Gingerbread on new and existing mobile phones and tablets.

According to Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru, Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google, "I'll give more details once the source code is available. However, there are three aspects that you need to know ahead of time:


-As part of the process to push the source code, there will be some points in time when the master branch doesn't build. Sorry about that. If you're working on the master branch, I recommend that you don't sync until I send an "all clear" when I'm done and things look good. Other branches are expected to work fine as soon as their manifests are created.
-Even though Nexus S is designed to be suitable for AOSP work, there are some caveats. I very strongly recommend against trying to use Nexus S for anything related to AOSP at the moment. Trying to unlock or use your Nexus S for AOSP work could easily turn it into a Nexus B (where B means "brick"); I have two of those, they're not very useful. I'll send some guidelines about what is currently possible once I've finished pushing the source code.

-Please take it easy on the kernel.org servers. They are very helpful in hosting the AOSP source code, and I don't want to hurt the high quality of their service with an onslaught of full Android downloads. If you're not going to immediately work on porting Gingerbread to devices with the intent of distributing the result to end-users, I'm kindly asking that you wait a few hours or a few days before you download it (just roll a 6-sided die and wait that long). In addition, the slower the servers are, the harder it is for me to do the push."
Very soon we may see the custom Android 2.3 ROMs coz modifier also start to make and modify ROMs for Gingerbread. Also same time the Google Nexus S Gingerbread has been ported to the Samsung I9000 Galaxy S.


Visit Here for Download and Other Info: Android 2.3Code

No comments:

Post a Comment