Word Lens is a iPhone application that uses the camera on the iPhone to translate text in real-time. Instantly translate printed words from one language to another with your built-in video camera, in real time!
You can use Word Lens on vacation, business travel, and just for fun. Its a unbelievable type of technology but true. Just watch video below ant feel themagic.
Word Lens is now available to download and use for free from the App Store.When you show this app some text written in Spanish, and you get an instant translation appearing on your iPhone screen in English. It also works the other way round English-to-Spanish.
Currently only two languages supported: Spanish to English and English to Spanish. This surely removes the language barrier when it comes to the written word. The app currently does the word-to-word translations and won’t take into consideration any grammar.
You've used the Google translation tool which need net connection to translate but Word Lens gives you translation on the go:
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, too.
Get the best quality out of your translations:
- best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- does NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- it's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away
- iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, or iPod Touch with video camera
- iOS 4.0 or later
*** iPhone 3gs and iPod Touch do not have zoom or flash light features
*** iPod Touch camera does not have auto-focus feature
Check out the video below: